Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Another developmental spurt

A few days ago I got an email from the Wonder Weeks saying that Avery was starting another developmental leap.*  Which explains a LOT that's been going on around here!  The sleep being even more wacky than usual (one night she was up for FOUR HOURS in the middle of the night), the whining, the clinging, crying whenever I'm not paying full attention to her... of course it's because she's discovering "the world of programs".  Sure enough, I've seen her doing a couple of things that indicate she is catching on to "programs" (mopping the floor is a program, for example).  If you hand her a rag, she will wipe the table; with a bowl and spoon, she will stir and offer you a taste.  Apparently when they hit these developmental leaps, their brains change so they actually see the world differently and it seems scary and overwhelming to them so they fuss, cling, and regress for a while.

Yesterday we were playing a game while she was nursing.  She was swatting/patting/grabbing for my mouth, so I pretended like I was going to chomp her hand and she cracked up.  She kept putting her hand up for me to pretend-chomp over and over again.  I'm not sure what was so hilarious about it, but she was laughing so hard.

* If you go to the Wonder Weeks website you can enter your email address and they will send you an email right before your baby is supposed to hit a developmental leap.

No comments:

Google