Wednesday, October 06, 2010

First Airplane Ride

Well, Avery survived her first trans-oceanic airplane trip, and I am back on the mainland for the first time since 2008 - yippee!  And I am at my parent's house for the first time since 2006.
So how was the trip?  Avery was a dream baby.  And thus I did not have an anxiety attack at 40,000 ft in the air.  She rode happily in her Ergo, watching all the new sights in the airport, she sat quietly chomping on her toys in the airplane, and she went down easily and took a nice nap on me.  Everyone around us was commenting on what a good baby she was!  EXCEPT... when we were descending on our first flight into Los Angeles, she cried the whole time.  For about thirty minutes!  It was AWFUL!  Poor baby's ears were bothering her :( I felt so bad.  I kept trying to get her to nurse, but I had nursed not long before we started descending so there wasn't much (if any?) milk left and she wasn't swallowing.  She kept looking up at me with these big, hurt eyes like why can't you make it stop mom??  :(  

I felt terrible. Of course, she was totally fine as soon as we landed, back to her normal smiling, chirping self. The next flight I made sure to save one side for when we were going down. But she fell asleep and slept the whole way so I didn't have to worry about it.

The hardest part was going through security - I had Avery in the Ergo, and our carseat (which I gate-checked) and the stroller base for it, plus the diaper bag and a rolling carry on packed with extra diapers, wipes, changes of clothes for both of us, my laptop and the boppy pillow. I looked like a pack mule!

I couldn't have picked a better time to come home, either. The weather is spectacular here right now - mid-seventies, sunny and DRY! I haven't been in DRY weather in forever. I love me some desert climate.

We are on our way to my sister's wedding at the end of this month in Florida and on the way we'll be stopping in Washington DC to see Avery's new little cousin. It's Avery's first big adventure.

No comments:

Google