Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Life with baby

Little Avery decided yesterday evening that the preferred feeding interval was 30 minutes or less. She is frequently a little fussy and wanting to nurse a lot during the evening hours - a time we call Happy Hour because it's all about keeping Avery happy. She doesn't cry, she just grunts and acts like she's uncomfortable or disgruntled about something. And she wants to nurse frequently. She will nurse for a few minutes and then pop off and grunt and act annoyed until I put her back on the boob. Rinse and repeat. Last night was the biggest marathon session yet, though. From about 6 through 10 pm she would nurse, fall asleep, wake and start grunting and fussing, back on the boob to nurse again, over and over! She finally gave it up around 10 and Adam took her downstairs so I could get some much-needed sleep. She must be going through a growth spurt because I swear she looks and feels bigger every day and she is nursing so much the last few days.

She was up again at 2 to eat, and then she fell asleep. I was sitting in bed with her and she needed her diaper changed, so I told Adam to bring me a diaper and wipe so I could try to do it without waking her up. Well, I'm sure you can guess that situation unraveled quickly. It was just a pee diaper so I thought we could do a quick switch and be done with little disturbance, but I should have known better! We got her cleaned off and got the fresh diaper under her, and just as I closed the hatch - before I even fastened it up - her eyes popped open and she unloaded a huge poo! Thankfully I had gotten the diaper in place before she did that on my lap. Then we discovered her little footed sleeper was partially INSIDE the diaper in the back, and was therefore covered in poo. Sigh. I carried her into the nursery still holding the dipe around her bum and got her cleaned up and into a new outfit.

Then, of course, she was wide awake and thought it would be a good time to get carried around so she could Check Things Out and practice holding her head up. I tried to get her to sleep, then Adam tried - at which point she started smiling at him and just generally hamming it up, the little booger - and then I tried again, but she was having none of it. She was alert and wide-eyed. After about an hour I told Adam to take her back downstairs and walk around with her and see if she'd fall asleep. I guess he spent another hour bouncing around the downstairs with her until she finally went back down and slept until almost 7 this morning. I had gone back to sleep at 3, so I actually woke up before Adam came back upstairs because my boobs felt like boulders for needing to be emptied after the nursing frenzy yesterday.

She got her second bath today. Her first real bath was at the two week point, and she didn't like it much. We bathed her in her tub in the kitchen, and she wailed when we first put her in the water so I pulled her out and wrapped her in a towel. We tried again a few minutes later and discovered she had poo'd all over the towel - Mom said, jeez ya scared the poo out of her!! When we put her in again she did ok, though she looked very suspicious, and she cried again when we pulled her out. Today we bathed her in her tub in the bathroom - less drafty? - and she actually seemed to like it! Phew. I was worried we were going to have a fussy bather on our hands!

She is sleeping next to me on the couch right now. Cute, cute!

1 comment:

Lindsey Broere said...

OH MY GOODNESS she is growing! WOW....you're right, she's due for a growth spurt. Adalei did he same thing when she'd hit one. Sleep really well for a night or two and then spend the next 2-3 days attached to me. They have a way of making growing seem like such a chore!

AGH...those middle of the night wardrobe changes are NOT fun! Bless your heart. At least you got a smile out of it :-)