Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Random post for a Wednesday

In the gym this morning, I overheard two different people chatting to their workout buddies about how Sara Palin's 17 year old daughter is pregnant. And one woman was even remarking that that's what happens when you focus so much on politics and aren't home to raise your family! Wha...? Did I hallucinate or isn't this 2008? WHO CARES?! Honestly, I don't think that says anything about her ability to be the Vice President. Plenty of conservative, even religious, stay at home moms have kids who get pregnant or worse! And plenty of parental screw-ups have kids who do just fine and escape their subpar upbringing unscathed. Honestly.

I don't have much to update on, can you tell! I wrote a couple posts, but they bored me to tears so I deleted them.

I'm starting to get a little paranoid because I haven't heard from Hawaii about a formal job offer yet. I've been corresponding with the HR department, sending forms and whatnot, but they say they are waiting to hear about a salary determination and my security clearance and they don't know how long it's going to take! I'm sure it's just bureaucratic molasses, but I can't help but freak out a little inside... what if it doesn't happen, what if something is wrong? What if it just TAKES FOREVER and then it's next year and we might as well have just done nothing because Adam's assignment is almost over anyway!!! Gah!

I almost never give money or talk to the homeless people in DC. Does that make me a terrible person? I was walking on the mall yesterday on my lunch break by the reflecting pool and I ignored this homeless guy. You know how when you walk by, you can feel someone watching you? He said, how are you? And I just ignored him and kept walking. And then he asked me again louder (and I walked quicker). There are a lot of homeless people in DC, which seems crazy because there are so many services here for people. And I feel bad about it, but I also feel like wtf, you know, because sometimes I see homeless people who don't LOOK like they live on the streets and I've heard that you can make a dollar a minute begging on a busy DC street corner! There used to be a lady and guy who begged outside my church in Georgetown and she would sit there on a crate every Sunday and talk on her cell phone! WTF? There's also a homeless guy who sits near Foggy Bottom Metro where TONS of tourists pass through. I overheard him telling a woman one day that he'd been begging there for 17 years! He always looks well-fed and healthy and well-clothed too, even though I do think he lives there by that building. I've seen sad things too - like this total crack-head of a man who used to hang out at the metro near my apartment and then one day I noticed he wasn't in his usual spot... but I saw him later sitting by the bus stop in a hospital gown. Like, with nothing else on, his naked bum was out in the breeze. I haven't seen him since...

2 comments:

Lindsey Broere said...

Um yeah...I had a student in my class yesterday BASH Sarah Palin because her daughter is pregnant. WHO CARES...what a waste of stinkin breath.

Neil and I refuse to ever talk about the homeless--the homeless and Isreal/Palestine are two NO TALK topics for us...HA! I have a very odd compassion for the homeless...and Neil lived in Boston for a few years (so you can imagine how he feels).

"Post-Google" by TAR ART RAT said...

1. uh.... does anybody else think it is kind of adorable that her daughter is pregnant?

2. You really have no obligation to be friendly or receptive to Homeless people... or anyone for that matter. I mean, over the years I build up a sort of repertoire (sp?) with some of the homeless in Pioneer Square (Seattle) but honestly, the crackheads... are a bit hopeless. alcoholics and and even the schizophrenics were much easier to relate to... the crackheads, however, were kind of like zombies.

Google