Tuesday, October 13, 2009

We get to hear the baby's heartbeat today!

I couldn't sleep at all last night! I don't know if I was nervous about today or if it was just a back-to-work-in-the-morning kind of thing. Today we get to hear the baby's heartbeat!!! At 1:00 this afternoon we are going to our first appointment with the midwife and we will get to hear the baby's heartbeat! I'm so excited, but also nervous. I'm pretty sure everything is going well and there's a strong heart beating away in there. After all, I'm still having lots of nausea (although gradually - dare I say it? - feeling a little better) and my stomach continues its outward expansion. But still. Nervous. Plus, I am nervous because after my appointment I am planning to break the news to my boss. I don't know why this has me anxious, but it does! I'm not expecting him to react badly.

So. Everyone think shiny good thoughts.

We had a fantastic holdiay weekend. I took Friday off work so I had a four day weekend. It was glorious! I made the trip over to the Motherhood maternity store on Friday and was surprised to find lots of stuff I liked. I ended up returning ALL of the maternity clothes I got from Gap and Old Navy and I'm fast approaching the time when I will *really* need them. I knew I needed to go somewhere and try stuff on, but we have exactly ONE maternity store on the island (Motherhood) and it's about 40 minutes away from our house. The girl at the Motherhood store was really nice and she let me try on basically every pair of pants in the store! They aren't designer pieces or anything but they will do for the next 6 months. I got 2 pants and a skirt for work and 3 casual capris, plus some cute tops. I am already wearing them around. They make you look more pregnant than just chubby!

The rest of the weekend was basically football, working out, going to the movies and otherwise relaxing. I'm really proud to say that I have been pretty consistent with my exercise. I've been walking 3-5 miles three or four times a week and lifting weights on an upper/lower split three times a week. I'm not making any real gains in fitness, but my plan for this pregnancy is just to stay active and keep up my basic fitness level so I have an easier labor and an easier time getting back into shape after the delivery.

I can't say I'm all that proud about my diet! I mean, I've been doing pretty well, considering the nausea and my increased appetite. But some sugar and processed foods have snuck in. Realistically, there is no way I'm going to avoid that stuff through this whole pregnancy. So I'm focusing on moderation - one or two "unhealthy" things each day, but striving for mostly nutrient-dense fare. I've done pretty well with that. But I still feel FAAAT, which makes me feel like I'm not doing a good enough job keeping my diet in check. I hate worring about it, but I started this pregnancy heavier than I would like to be, and I don't really want to weigh more than my husband, even if pregnant LOL!

As much as I've been feeling like I'm already gaining too much weight, I was, in fact, completely and utterly shocked at my weight this morning. I always get on our scale first thing in the morning before getting weighed at the doctor because you can't tell how much water weight you'll carry around during the day. Well this morning I just stood there blinking when it said I'd only gained 2 lbs. Huh? No, seriously, HUH? For the size of my stomach and the way I feel puffy, I was expecting 7-9 lbs. So that made me happy and feel like less of a cow! ;)

Regardless, I am completely and utterly in awe of my pregnant body. I still can't get my head around the idea that there is a tiny person growing inside me. The books say the baby is the size of a lemon now! And s/he will triple in size in the next 3 weeks. It's crazy and amazing and weird and scary all at the same time.

Ok, I have more to chatter on about, but I need to get some real work done before my doc's appointment. I'll be on here with news as soon as it's over!

No comments:

Google