Avoid These Foods and Additives
- Iodized salt and sea salt. Non-iodized salt may be used.
- Seafood and sea products.
- Foods or products that contain these sea-based additives: carrageenan, agar-agar, algin, alginate, nori.
- Dairy products.
- Egg yolks or whole eggs. Egg whites are acceptable.
- Commercial bakery products.
- Red Dye #3. However, Red Dye #40 is OK.
- Most Chocolate (for its milk content).
- Some Molasses.
- Soybeans and most soy products (soy sauce, soy milk, tofu).
- Red kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, pinto beans, and cowpeas. Other diets do not limit beans.
- Rhubarb and potato skins.
- Iodine-Containing Vitamins, and Food Supplements.
Limit the Amounts of these Foods
- Fresh meats. Up to 6 ounces per day of fresh meats are fine on the low-iodine diet.
- Grains, cereals. Up to 4 servings per day.
So that's it. I'll be eating a pile of egg whites and fruit and vegetables until January 10. And hoping I don't gain weight beyond water weight. I'm less worried about the diet than about going off my medicine. I am so ready to be done with all the business of getting rid of the cancer (for now, at least!) - I just can't wait for next week to arrive.
It is, of course, sad that President Ford passed away; however, he expired conveniently just before a holiday weekend, and we now get not three but FOUR days off!! How lucky is that?