Thursday, August 07, 2008

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot

So, I've been feeling bad about myself for not sticking to my reduced calorie diet the last couple of weeks. I've felt like a weakling for giving in to my ravenous appetite and eating enough to maintain my weight, when my goal is to lose another 5 lbs by the end of this month. I thought, well, I am exercising more, and I did just diet for 12 weeks, so maybe my body needs a break? Then there is my insomnia, which is back with a vengence, so I thought maybe it is the lack of sleep combined with stress causing me to eat more.

But Hell's Bells - I was just reading about progesterone this morning on the webz (my doctor has me on it to try to stimulate my cycle to start again) and come to find out it increases appetite! GAHHHHH! I'm trying to diet and I'm taking a hormone that makes you want to eat. Great. Progesterone is the pregnancy hormone that stimulates ovulation and gets the uterus all ready to house a baby. Pro- (for) Gest (gestation) - erone (hormone) - the hormone helping with gestation. Gah? Well, I have five more days before I stop taking it....... at least it's good to know that I'm not just a weakling! I'm working at cross purposes here.

Also good to know that progesterone can cause insomnia and headaches, which explains the headaches I've been having the last few days and my inability to fall asleep. I've been lying in bed each night thinking loudly WHY CAN'T I FALL ASLEEP. Hm.

Another interesting thing? Candida overgrowth is related to all of this hormonal imbalance. So it all kind of makes sense and fits into a big messy picture. The candida cleanse seems to be going pretty well. I've started to add back in fruit and some other things like balsamic vinegar that I was avoiding.

In other news, I can now do 3 chin ups and I ran 4 miles without too much difficulty on Tuesday. So at least two of my 5-5-5 goals are coming along!

No comments:

Google