I've done this the last couple years, so why buck tradition? Here's last year's. Wow, the last two years have been busy with major life events!
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
I gave birth. I abandoned my burgeoning public service career to become a stay at home mom.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any resolutions last year, but I set some goals:
1. Bring a healthy baby into this world - done
2. Get back in shape after the baby is born - not done, I'm totally out of shape right now
3. Figure out the best work situation for me & my family - done
4. Build a stronger marriage - definitely done!
This year I'm feeling lazy about goals & resolutions. I know I should make some, but... meh. As long as I keep myself and the baby alive, we'll call it good.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend S in Hawaii gave birth to a sweet little boy.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
We traveled to the mainland U.S.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Mmmmmm.... sleep. And a size 6 b'hind again.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Avery's birthday, April 24, obvs.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Giving birth unmedicated. Close runner up: successfully breastfeeding exclusively.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I can't really say this is a failure since I didn't even try, but not losing all the weight I wanted to after giving birth.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes, I think we can count giving birth/postpartum recovery in here (AWFUL) as well as the three times I got sick in the last two months.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A stroller. More on that soon.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mom's, hands down. She carried me through postpartum. Also Adam's, for so many reasons, but let's just say I'm the lucky one in our relationship.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Uhhhh, I dunno.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Fo' sho'. Y'all, it's 'spensive to live in Hawaii.
15. What did you get really excited about?
The Little Elf Princess!
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Probably Dog Days Are Over by Florence and the Machine.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? Thinner, but I was five months preggo last year.
– richer or poorer? Technically poorer, since I quit my job and literally cut our income in half. But, you know, richer too in the non-material sense (duh).
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sleep. And take videos of Avery.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Las Vegas at my folks house, with my sister and brother-in-law and Adam and Avery.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Duh... totally, completely, hopelessly.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
TV? What's that?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Raffi on Pandora, hahaha.
26. What did you want and get?
A beautiful, healthy baby. (DUH).
27. What did you want and not get?
A baby that's a great sleeper!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I only saw one film this year - Adam and I got to go see Harry Potter the day before yesterday. And I was beginning to think I would never see a film in a theater again!
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30 - egads! Is that right? I was seven months preggo. I think Adam took me to the Polynesian Cultural Center?? And we saw the show there. Or no, wait... maybe we went to a luau? I can't really remember. I was kind of preoccupied with the impending birth.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
32. What kept you sane?
Adam and my mom. La Leche League. My new mom friend S.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?
Adam while I was on the mainland. My mom when she left us.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
This too shall pass.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
My head in the clouds
I hit this corner
With my foot on the gas
I started sliding, I lose it
Everything's different just like that
"So Damn Lucky" by Dave Matthews